Show of hands, how many of you actually get to spend Valentine’s Day with your husband? I know for me, out of all the years we’ve been together — be it dating or married — I think we’ve spent TWO together. And perhaps that’s why this year I find myself very. “Oh its Valentine’s Day? I didn’t even notice.” But, there’s really no reason why us Road Widows can’t still celebrate this day of love despite being apart. So I present to you, five ways to still make Valentine’s Day awesome while apart.
1. Flowers. Okay, so its a little cliche and unoriginal. But my husband sends me flowers every Valentine’s Day, and it still makes me giddy as a school girl. Even if I might outwardly roll my eyes a little and sigh, “They cost too much!” deep down I’d be devastated if they didn’t come.
2. Send your Valentine a valentine. I don’t know about any of you, but the gesture of letters that Chris’ husband left for her while he was on tour recently left me a bit green with jealousy while also wanting to high-five him for the amazing, amazing gesture. But, that gesture goes both ways. Leave a valentine in your husband’s suitcase to find later, or send him an extra mushy text message today (photo optional – hehe) to serve as a valentine.
3. Break out the wine and chick flicks! Okay, so lets be real here. It sucks to be alone on Valentine’s Day. Even if your happily married, it sucks to see your friends going out on special dates for the evening. So what do we ladies do? Why we pop open a bottle of wine (just one glass… or four) and throw in a sappy chick flick! Maybe go grab a box of chocolates to indulge in at the same time.
4. Girlie time! Now for me, girlie time means facials, pedicure, manicure, bubble bath, etc. Those things you don’t take time for otherwise. Treat yourself as your own valentine by treating yourself! Bonus is if your husband is coming in off the road soon, you’ll be extra fabulous for him and that late-Valentine’s Day-date that you know they’re promising.
5. Get outta here! Call up your fellow Road Widows, or maybe hook up with some of your single friends, and paint the town red! You know everyone is going all out at restaurants, bars, etc. Why not partake and have some fun!?
So… what are you doing for Valentine’s Day?