Last week, a friend hipped me to a song on a new album release this week… a song I instantly fell in love with and shared on our Road Widows twitter feed and Facebook page. (I’ll share it here in a minute below.) I then decided to look for similar songs… songs that could be a Road Widow’s soundtrack. I found quite a few!! Here are five of my favorites (and perhaps the most obvious)… would love to know if you have any favorites!
All songs linked to Spotify for you to hear!
1. Prayer for the Road by Eli Young Band — This is the song I was referring to at the beginning of this post. The album just hit shelves this week and I can already sing this song from memory. Seriously am in love with it. But be warned… you might get a little misty listening to it!
May the wheels keep turnin’ / Get you where you need to go / I’ll keep the porch light burnin’ / ‘Til you get back home / May the angels fly beside you / Down every mile you roll / May Heaven hear this prayer / Prayer for the road
2. I’m Already There by Lonestar — Released in 2001, I’ve loved this song from day one. But it wasn’t until I met my husband that it meant as much to me as it does today. I dare ya to get through this one dry-eyed!
She got back on the phone / Said I really miss you darling / Don’t worry about the kids / they’ll be alright / Wish I was in your arms / Lying right there beside you / But I know that I’ll be in your dreams tonight
3. Faithfully by Journey – Do any variation of a Google search for love songs from the road, musician love song, etc. and this song is generally the first one to pop up. And rightfully so! Classic song about the life we all live…
They say that the road / Ain’t no place to start a family / Right down the line / It’s been you and me / And lovin’ a music man / Ain’t always what it’s supposed to be / Oh, girl, you stand by me / I’m forever yours / Faithfully
4. Good to You by The Avett Brothers — I have to admit, I stumbled upon this song during the Google search I mentioned in #3. I don’t know much (okay, anything) about The Avett Brothers. But this song… well… nailed it.
When your best friend got married I was off and gone / You said it wasn’t a problem, that there was nothing wrong / With putting my work, my art, and my songs / Before spending time at the wedding
5. Like A Wrecking Ball by Eric Church — I gotta admit, this song made this list primarily because its so different from the others and yet fits so perfectly. Let’s just say it’ll leave ya pretty hot and bothered and ready for your man to come home RIGHT NOW. In a good way. Insert evil grin here.
I’ve… I’ve been gone… / Been gone too long / Singing my songs on the road / Another town / One more show / And I’m coming home / Don’t give a damn what these keys are for / I’m gonna knock down that front door…
I’ve created a playlist on Spotify of these songs and more… feel free to follow it and suggest more songs to add to it! Let’s have our own soundtrack!